High Efficiency Image File Format (HEIC) is a new image container format from the developers of MPEG, a popular audio and video compression standard.
HEIF is based on the High Efficiency Video Compression (HEVC), which is also known as H.265. The format was developed by the Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG) and became popular in 2017 when iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra was released. In iOS 11 you can save images as HEIC files instead of JPEG files, which require considerably less storage than JPEG files without sacrificing image quality.
With the release of iOS 11, HEIC will be used by default on new photos, and it's designed to save you storage space. But many windows users are hard to view their photos.
If you found is hard to view your .heic photos on PC or Android device. There is an easy fix it. Apple provides a simple way to convert the photos to JPG, Let's follow steps:
1. Unlock your iDevice and go to Settings > Photos
2. In here, you can change the original format of your photos from HEIF to JPEG as well.
3. under the "TRANSFER TO MAC OR PC" section, enable the option of "Automatic" and save your changes.
--> The "Automatic" option will transfer your photos to PC or Mac by JPG format.
--> The "Keep Originals" option will preserve the original format of the HEIC files.
1. Firstly, please download the "Kvigo Free HEIC Converter" software to your Windows PC, and Install the application
2. Launch "Kvigo Free HEIC Converter" software and click "Add HEIC" Button or drag/drop HEIC file to software.
3. Select the output format, and click the "Convert to JPG" Button.
4. When converting done, and opened the output folder, You can use the window's default photo viewer to view them.